Transportation Dispatcherapply for position
JOB FUNCTION: Perform sales, dispatching, and clerical support duties for the dispatch department with the primary goal of ensuring the company meets customer expectations of delivering the right amount of product at the right time.
Transportation dispatcher is responsible for coordinating and managing the pickup and delivery of ground-transported cargo, negotiating the best rates with vendors, the most cost-effective delivery options with customers, and the most efficient routes with drivers, all while answering phones when drivers need assistance. They also fulfill an administrative role by filing the appropriate paperwork, monitoring driver progress, processing orders, and managing driver concerns.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct load picks up, transit, and delivery by following DOT and company high safety standards.
- Monitor violations by overseeing driver’s speed, log data, and possible daily maintenance issues.
- Update and input equipment and load related information in corporate CRM (software) Protransport, PC Miler, google drive, and loading board.
- Oversee and control cargo loading and securement. Demand driver’s picture report after each loading to ensure proper cargo securement by the shipper and driver.
- Monitor and track hauler performance and Key performance indicators KPI (gross, the rate per mile, etc).
- Build and maintain relationships with freight brokers and customers.
- Lead the negotiation of tariffs and rates with the brokers or customers to obtain competitive rates.
- Take on the responsibility of booking the most efficient loads to remain cost/profit effective as a company.
- Determine the most cost-effective scheduling of deliveries and routing of the trucks.
- Oversee that the conformations are correct and necessary pick up and delivery information is given to drivers in a timely fashion.
- Attend company meetings as requested.
- Follow company policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the dispatch lead or operation director.
- Notify broker/shipper regarding lumper or other surcharges not mentioned in rate conformation. Request revised confirmation in case of a carrier’s responsibility.
- Ensure that all freight-related costs are accurate and changes of lumpers and detention surcharges are communicated in a timely fashion to the contractors and accounting.
- Notify dispatch manager and/or fleet manager in case of any truck breakdown.
- Assist the accounting department in matching invoices and bill of ladings.
- Resolve freight related problems both internal and external with brokers/shippers to increase customer satisfaction.
- Communicate with coworkers, to schedule a truck at the location in case of breakdown.
- Ensure that all equipment maintenance is performed as scheduled.
- Use outside organizations, businesses, brokers and direct clients, warehouse managers, lumpers, load forwarders, and agents as necessary.∙
- Maintain regular office attendance from 7 am till 5 pm with following driver’s support out of the personal means of communication (cell phone, home computer, etc)
- Inform the direct manager and load broker/shipper in case of any pickup and delivery schedule changes.
- Notify company management (dispatch manager and operation director) 2 weeks in advance – days off, 4 weeks in advance – planned vacation.
- Monitor the weather conditions of all assigned drivers locations.
- Participate in an on-call rotation that may include after hours and weekend coverage based on customer needs
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for drivers.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks, work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment, and ensure timely completion.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of logistics, including carriers, shipping policies, and procedures
- Effective time management and adaptability to changing priorities
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with some direction
- Ability to read a map and accurately plan a route
- Effective listening and good phone skills
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to multi-task
- The capability of following written instructions and documented procedures
- Able to handle difficult customers with diplomacy and tact
- Ability to perform simple math operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division)
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance, and stoop. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
POSITION TYPE/WORKING HOURS
Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. Constant phone assistance is required.
This position doesn’ t require travel.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- At least three years of field sales experience.
- Experience proficiency in Excel and MS-Office applications.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in transportation preferred.
- BA in business is preferable.